Was that Labor Day that just happened?
Your summer heart may be a little sad about the “official” ending of summer — however — your face might just be rejoicing.
The sun and the sand can be helpful for the soul, but that big ball of sunshine in the sky can also be brutal to our skin.
A common post-summer issue is hyper-pigmentation.
If you’ve ever experienced this common skin condition then you may be familiar with what hyper-pigmentation is all about.
However, if you’ve never heard of hyper-pigmentation, or if you’re looking to know more about it, we’ve created a hyper-pigmentation guide just for you!
What Is Hyper-Pigmentation?
Hyper-pigmentation is an area (usually on your nose, chin, upper lip, cheeks, forehead and even the back of your hands and décolleté) that is a dark discoloration. This can be due in part to a melanin increase (which is the substance where the pigment is regulated).
The hyper-pigmentation culprits can include:
- The sun! Dr. Zein Obagi (Beverly Hills Dermatologist & ZO® Founder) says that “…the worst culprit is cumulative sun exposure.”
- Hormones from birth control, pregnancy, etc. -- Melasma “the mask of pregnancy” is also another form of hyper-pigmentation and is thought to be triggered predominately by hormones. However, vascular disorders like Rosacea are also being studied for the role of blood vessels and how they play into Melasma as well.
- Post inflammation: acne, skin trauma, insect stings/bites, burns, cuts, and bruises.
What Are My Options?
We don’t think you’re ever too young to start prevention and a quality skincare routine. The options we give you below are what we highly recommend to our very own clients, so please let us know if you have any questions.
With early prevention of skin damage with the use of sunscreen along with the addition of laser treatments (IPL) and/or a Hyper-pigmentation skincare system — you and your skin shall be happy in and out of the sun.
- Early prevention: apply sunscreen every two hours.
- IPL (Intense Pulse Light) — this laser resurfacing treatment helps varying skin types and conditions (especially hyper-pigmentation). We use Lumecca™ IPL by InMode and the benefits include total photo rejuvenation in 1-2 treatments versus 4-6 with standard IPL’s and patient comfort and safety that is supported by a strong sapphire cooling tip.
- ZO Non-Hydroquinone Hyperpigmentation System — this system treats the discoloration without potential risks and side effects of using hydroquinone. This system includes 5 potent products that work synergistically to even skin tone, rejuvenate skin and improve texture.
- ZO® 3-Step Peel™ — An in-office treatment, followed by at-home treatment which produces longer lasting results than most peels —very little downtime and only two days of full peeling.
- Brightenex™ 1.0% Retinol — the first line of defense for hyper-pigmentation; helps even skin tone and color. This product can be used as maintenance post prescription treatments.