Did you know that the heart produces so much energy on a daily basis – it’s comparable to driving a truck 20 miles?
Over your lifetime, that is like taking a trip to the moon and back!
Who knew that blood pumper of a heart could do so much in such a little amount of time.
Because February is Heart Health Month and we’ve already talked this month about women and the heart, as well as some healthy heart living tips – we thought we’d give you some specific foods and supplements that will support that heart of yours (to the moon and back!)
Foods that support a healthy heart lifestyle:
1. – Wild Salmon: full of omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and antioxidants – this (wild, not farmed) fish loves to help your heart pump. You have permission to go wild on those salmon salads!
2. – Sardines: according to the Mayo Clinic, these little fresh fish can help reduce the risk of a sudden heart attack in those that have had a previous heart attack. Olive oil can help the palate with these "acquired taste" little fish.
3. – Almonds and Walnuts: these heart lovers not only support your heart, but walnuts can also keep your memory keen. A handful or two should do the trick!
4. – Apples: with their cholesterol-blocking pectin and polyphenols, no wonder why the saying goes, “Eat an apple a day and keep the doctor away.” P.S. – keep that peel on; that’s where all of the antioxidants love to hang out.
5. – Blueberries: we like to think of blueberries as wine (or grapes) first cousin. These things are packed with resveratrol (an antioxidant powerhouse) that loves to infuse the heart with health.
6. – Coffee: yep, you read that right, we said coffee. As long as you’re not diluting it with tons of sugar, the high level of antioxidants not only supports your heart, but also reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and type 2 diabetes. Cheers!
7. – Red Wine: Was that a “hallelujah” we just heard? Yes, red wine (especially Cabernets and Madirans) are so packed with the antioxidant resveratrol (remember blueberries) that next time you’re enjoying a glass of your favorite wine – make sure to salute to your heart!
Supplements that support a healthy heart lifestyle:
1. – Coenzyme Q10: (also known as ubiquinone or ubiquinol) helps your body support energy production and is known to be one of the most cogent antioxidants available. Co-Q10 fights those free radicals and protects your body from oxidative stress, which in turn helps your body to restore health.
2. – Omega-3 Fatty Acids: found in seafood and fish, they love to fight inflammation, plaque buildup and improve your cholesterol. Omega-3's are probably one of the most popular form of cardiovascular supplementation.
P.S. – we love our high-quality BioTE® Omega-3 Supplements (we have them stocked at the office for you).
3. – Magnesium: we know that stress can wreak havoc on the body and in turn, cause strain on our cardiovascular system. Think of magnesium as the “anti-stress” nutrient – with its blood pressure and blood sugar lowering capabilities. And because most American’s don’t get adequate amounts of magnesium, it’s easier now more than ever to grab a magnesium supplement that can go in your drink or take a bath (magnesium flakes or powder) and just relax.
Ok, now which healthy heart food and/or supplement are you going to start with first?
And as always, speak with Dr. Elijah, or your healthcare professional before starting any new health regimen.